Beyond the human variety that is.
I share my living space with a lot of domesticated and semi-wildlife. The current count is something over 38, numbering
- 3 Feline Overlords,
- 1 Giant Dog™,
- 11 Snakes between 2 species,
- 8 lizards across 5 species,
- 11 Forest Scorpions,
- 1 Goliath Bird Eating spider,
- 3 spiders of a smaller but approximately as venomous variety as the Goliath (so not very) and whose name eludes me at the moment,
- An indeterminate number of cherry shrimp, White Cloud Minnows, and snails divided between an aquarium and a palludarium (that was supposed to have tree frogs in it by now except for the pandemic).
It’s less crowded than you think, and maybe a little less work, too. (Depending on which snake we’re talking about, they only eat every 7-14 days. Which means that’s how often you have to scoop most of the time. Some fresh water, a little handling here and there. Low maintenance, and pretty cool, pets.)
My son is fond of saying that we’re a giant snake and a small crocodilian away from having our own zoo. He’s not wrong. Menagerie is probably technically correct, though they’re really only on display for us.
Stay safe and be well, everyone.by