00:00 Episode ID
Days of Geek, Episode 5: with Kate Mulgrew at Fan Expo 2012.
“Split In Synapse”, courtesy of Kevin McCleod at incompetch.com.
Where I quote Joss Whedon on strong female characters. And note that while there are people trying to get it right other than Whedon, there aren’t enough of them, and that goes for every character, not just those played by or written for women.
A very quick intro to Kate Mulgrew’s Q&A from Fan Expo 2012.
Ms. Mulgrew’s preamble:
- Canada, and how she loves it here
- Accepting the role of Janeway
- Star Trek fandom
- On being the first woman ST captain, and the legacy it’s left her.
- Warehouse 13
- Somewhere Fun play in spring 2013 in NY
- 3 kids
- She’s writing a biography
The questions she got covered a lot of ground. Yes, many of them were Voyager related, but not all. Her answers were even wider ranging.
- Her favourite villains: the Borg Queen, species 8472, and the Vidians.
- Her feelings on being the first female captain and the pressures involved.
- The fact that there is a great deal of science grounding in Star Trek.
- Friendships made from Voyager and respect for science and women in science.
- “Controversial issue” not touched, that she feels ST has missed so far as Homosexuality. She feels like Hollywood is almost there in putting openly homosexual characters in positions of authority and points out how long it took to get a woman there on Star Trek.
- Her views on Janeway’s leadership style and some of the problems she had to face.
- John DeLancie
- Dragon Age
- Sally Ride
Note that I’ve been officially talked into Frost Con, a 1-day convention in Toronto on the 14th of December. Also, we’ll be attending Quinte Mini Con this coming weekend. Close to home and the first con in the area. Should be awesome.
54:55 Media Consumption
The part of the show where I very briefly talk about the geeky media I’ve consumed since recording the last episode. Very briefly in this case, as I’m catching up through the gap between episodes 3 and 4.
Snow White and the Huntsman
Star Trek TOS: “Mudd’s Women”, plus 6 other episodes of ST: TOS for Spocktoberfest.
Star Trek TNG: “Encounter at Farpoint”.
Fangasm episode 1.
I catch the Big Bang Theory when I can.
In a less family friendly vein, I’ve caught several episodes each of Archer, Sea Lab, and Fugget About It.
ST Titan: Synthesis
Finished Typhon Pact 01: Zero Sum Game
Snuff by Terry Pratchett
The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
The Killer Thing by Kate Wilhelm
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
57:25 Star Trek TOS Re-Watch
Episode: “Mudd’s Women”
I play the original TV teaser and offer a brief (but maybe not brief enough) synopsis, give some thoughts comments the story, characters, and seriously sexist theme of this episode. A couple of interesting continuity notes follow
Overlooked Character/Actor: Lt. John Farrell played by Jim Goodwin.
Vulcan emotions: Spock seems to spend half of his screen time smirking. That brings us to two.
Best Line: during a conversation between Eve (one of Mudd’s Women) and Kirk. In Kirk’s quarters. (Tone really makes this exchange.)
Eve: All your men were looking at me, following me with their eyes.
Kirk: Yes, I’ll have to talk to them about that.
And finally, I give my opinion and recommendation. Spoiler: the opinion is really not that good, and the recommendation is that the makeup effects are pretty awesome, especially for the time, but the episode really doesn’t hold up.
In which I again offer contact info:
Closing music—George Street Shuffle, courtesy of Kevin McCleod at incompetch.com
Creative Commons licensing info (Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivatives 3.0 Un-ported License).
XX:XX Blooper. No blooper this week. Which is not to say I didn’t make any mistakes recording, because there were plenty, but none of them were funny. All just trips of the tongue and too many of those. Sorry.by