Well, I’m a little late getting this up, but April was a more successful writing month than March, though I still hold that March gave me what I needed. Most of my writing time has been dictating time with a little cleanup afterwards, so there hasn’t been very much editing of previous work. Okay, none.
A very quick overview of April, 2014:
The Godhead, Book 1
28,870 words written of 30,000 target, which is pretty good. I’m about 1,000 words into Chapter 40 (of the original 45), but several need to be split and there are three significant scenes which only exist as a sentence or two. I won’t count the first draft as done until those are complete. There are only 13,000 words or so left from my original projection, so even adding an extra three scenes I should be able to get it done before the end of May. Only two months and 25,000 words over budget.
A trilogy I’m referring to as Peacebringers. I’ve started the plotting of the first book, Becoming Alien, and may take a break from The Godhead to work on this next. Experimenting with the snowflake method of plotting this time, but doing an actual outline to go with it. Envisioned as a shorter tale with only one primary viewpoint character. Probably on the order of 75-80,000 words, although you know how my last estimate went.
Short fiction went well this month, totalling 11,745 words. All work on The Undead: a 7,000-word short, three flash pieces, and 4,500 words of another short that will probably just break 5,000 and that I hope I’ll finish in the morning. Fifteen short stories and eight flash pieces still to go to make the target here.
Again, five whole blog posts this month (I’ll try to do better for May), a bit of non-fiction, and a little more script work. The bucket to catch everything else totals 14,275 words, including this post.
Total for the Month
56,517 words. A little light compared to the last few months, but still a decent total looking at the last couple of years. Considering life and the real world, this is perfectly fine.
Looking ahead, the goals for May:
- Finish book 1 of The Godhead. I can see the end from here, and it shouldn’t take much more than another 20,000 words, so I don’t think this should be too much of a stretch.
- Finish plotting Becoming Alien. Maybe start writing it, too.
- Looking for another 7,500 words on stories for The Undead. A little lighter here because we’re doing 2 conventions this month. Not much expected writing time and an extra couple of days off.
- Revision notes for Universal Destiny. Funny how this keeps staying on the list.
- Another shot at 10 blog posts for the month. This counts as one, and I have plenty of topics lined up.
Full speed ahead.
Be well, everyone.by