December was all about focus. NaNoWriMo type focus, but without NaNoWriMo. A quick summary:
Spent a few minutes here and there tidying up the dictation to come up with a final clean word count of 64,779. And that’s 2,457 words higher than when I officially counted the story complete on November 26th.
A total of 16,781 words to finish the story off, deliberately truncating three chapters and throwing away one scene entirely, at a much shorter than the first book total of 103,919. The back half of this story was rough and I dragged through the writing. That tells me there’s something majorly wrong with it, but I’m not going to stress too hard about it with things still so fresh in my mind.
Picking up more or less where I left off, only now with a plot, I put 22,219 words into this in December. That’s actually quite a bit lower than I’d originally hoped, but I took a few days away from fiction writing around Christmas and didn’t even try to make up for it. Because Christmas, that’s why.
Zero words of short fiction. Next question.
Year of Trek Fiction
Kind of falling behind here, but still lots of time, I think. A year yet before things get started, right?
A little editing and a little plotting for 1,470 words combined. A bunch of blog posts, and a handful of other nonfiction things that no one will ever get to see, for a total of 15,956 words.
Total for the Month
It all totals up to a respectable 58,232 words for the month.
January slides into the new plan which I’ll discuss at some length in a couple of weeks, but the basic goals come down to:
- Finishing up the plotting on Becoming Alien, a book that may or may not be the first book of a trilogy, but that I’ve plotted and planned as a stand-alone novel.
- Revision notes for Universal Destiny. Yes, really. I hope.
- Research for My Cousin Hans has already started, but I’ve got so much to learn about the Danish Resistance in WWII, not to mention WWII itself. And Danish.
- Finishing Draugr Rising, which I think has about 20,000 words to go at this point, if I can find the several long hand chapters I’m missing. 30,000 if I can’t.
- A modest 12,000 words of short fiction, trying to get back to The Undead.
Like I said, there’s a new plan for 2015 and I’ll share the details of that in the days ahead, but I’m currently reworking it to fit not just long term goals, but a breadth of writing and other creativity I’d like to provide myself.
Oh, I’m still crazy, but that’s okay.
Be well, everyone.by