Overall, 2022 was a good year, but you’d never know it by looking at my blog. Fewer than 40 posts for the whole year.
But my total word count for 2022 was just a few words over 155k. Yes, not the most productive year I’ve ever had, but it’s nothing to sneeze at and I’m very happy with the progress I made on the projects I focused on.
And 2022 is over. To borrow a quote, “I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.” (Edna Mode, The Incredibles) I actually look back quite a bit. Nostalgia and I are close friends. But that’s not what this post is about.
Looking ahead to what I’m planning for 2023, let’s break it out by category and sometimes by project rather than word count this year, starting with drafting and moving up the chain from there.
- 25 Poems. No specifications on length. Which technically means I could polish off this goal with 25 haiku (although those are more work than most people think).
- 25 Flash Pieces. I take the definition of flash as 1000 words or less. One ever two weeks with a little time left over.
- 12 Short Stories. For lengths above flash, I usually fall back to the SFWA definitions. For short stories, this means up to 7500 words, and although if I wind up with a novelette or novella, I’ll likely count it here, a short usually lands in the 3-6k range for me.
- 1 novel. As of right now, this means finishing the first draft of Converging Destiny, which needs something in the neighbourhood of 55,000 words according to my outline predictions. I’d love to move on to the third book in the series, Unified Destiny, by the end of the year, but I’ve got a heavy term coming up. Fall term next year looks a little better, maybe, but I’ll leave it as a stretch goal until and unless I hit finish the first draft of CD with a decent amount of the year left.
- The final read through on all 5 Troll World books. This is a little over 360k of final draft work. Hopefully, it will go smoothly.
- I’d also like to start on the editing process for Welkiri Corps. For goal purposes, I’m looking at taking this to final draft status as well. I finished the 2nd draft just before Christmas 2021 and it’s been waiting for me to get back to it since.
- 12 Short stories to final draft. This will barely dent what’s waiting, but the idea is to match the number of first drafts so I’m not falling further behind. If I hit the short story drafting goal, any time that comes available will probably good here.
- 50 Submissions. This isn’t even five per month, so feels modest, but is still more than I managed in 2022.
- 3 Indie Novels. Big Hair Day and two more. I know what I want them to be but reserve the right to change my mind.
- 1 Indie Collection. No details here, and I may replace it with another novel.
- 3 Indie stand alone stories. Novelette length or longer, alternating with the novels.
- Get the Weekly Writing Report to the point where it actually is weekly.
- Actually launch the fiction podcast. I’ve started recording, and done some re-recording, but have some goals to meet before I actually give a launch date. I’ve planned it to be biweekly and want to have 8-10 episodes fully produced before the first one goes live. That would give me 16-20 weeks of content to get ready for the next round.
There are some other creative goals in the background. I need to learn to do some actual marketing, for example, and the website needs updating, and I want to redo some covers, and… well, and lots of things.
Welcome to 2023. Hopefully achievable goals, but in any case, I intend to have some creative fun this year.
Stay safe and be well, everyone.by